Jari Arkko said:
> Pekka Savola wrote:
>> Note that when you send to a multicast address, your source address is
>> checked to be RPF-wise correct, otherwise it's dropped in the
>> multicast forwarding.  So, I don't think spoofing is that feasible a
>> scenario in "multicast ping".
>
> Right. I think this protection is good enough that we can
> generally rely on it, as long as the remaining case (on path
> attacker) is understood and mentioned in the security
> considerations.

With the noted exception, do we have consensus that multicast ping is not
useful as a DoS attack vector?

> In general, we may not wish to limit the ability of applications
> to respond to multicast, that may be needed in some cases. However,
> applications that do respond to multicast probably want to say
> something about the remaining case in their security considerations
> section. Some applications may also use some form of source authentication
> to ensure that only the legitimate sender's messages are processed.

I don't think anyone would object to individual protocols being hardened,
or at least studied, for multicast-specific security problems.

> This still leaves open what the behaviour for ICMPv6 Echo Request
> should be. I would not bundle this issue with what the other
> applications do, but my default answer would be to not respond
> to multicast requests unless there is a specific reason to do
> so. In this case there seems to be some discussion about multicast
> debugging capabilities. I do not have experience of that myself.
> Are multicast echo requests the primary multicast debugging
> mechanism? If yes, we should allow responses to be sent. If not,
> I agree with Suresh that it should be disallowed. Note that
> multicast debugging through echo responses is naturally limited
> to rather small multicast groups ;-) So I suspect people who
> need multicast in a large scale are going to need another
> debugging tool in any case.

IMHO, a multicast ping is the only tool that is simple enough and
ubiquitous enough for end users to attempt diagnostics before calling
their support folks -- one simple command tells you whether your problems
are at the network layer or application layer.  I say keep it.