Thus spake "Mark Andrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > At a minimum, being present in the global DNS should be at the option
> > of the allocatee.  Until a viable solution is found for non-registered
> > prefixes, this might be given as an advantage of using a registered
prefix.

> Well non-registered addresses are not guarenteed to be unique.

"Until" should probably be "unless".

> We should be recommending that *every* recursive nameserver, not
> just where locals addresses are in use, be configured with a empty zone
> (SOA and NS only) for the /8.  This will prevent the root and ip6.arpa
> servers having to deal with all the requests that would otherwise come to
> them.

While undoubtedly ideal, I don't trust a million local DNS admins around the
world to all get this right.  For example, this should be done for RFC1918
addresses as well, yet the volume of bogus reverse queries hitting the roots
was still substantial enough IANA resorted to lamely delegating the zones.
It'll probably end up happening to FD00::/8 as well.

> If a non-unique local addresses are in use it can have delegations
> in this zone.

Of course.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin