>    but
>> that didn't seem to be the consensus of the WG.

> => At least you and I agree FWIW :)
> Perhaps I missed this discussion, but I can't see
> why they should be put in the global DNS. Unless
> people are trying to prove that these local addresses
> don't require a two face DNS. It's a lost cause I think ;)

As Rob pointed out, we should first clarify whether we are talking
about the forward tree (using AAAA) or the reverse tree (using PTR RR
with nibble + ip6.arpa labels).  The reachability issue Hesham said in
his first response is basically only related to the forward tree.

In addition to this, I'd also like to note that
draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-04.txt recommends limited-scope
addresses not be in the global DNS:

2.1 Limited-scope Addresses

   The IPv6 addressing architecture [5] includes two kinds of local-use
   addresses: link-local (fe80::/10) and site-local (fec0::/10).  The
   site-local addresses are being deprecated [7], and are only discussed
   in Appendix A.

   Link-local addresses should never be published in DNS, because they
   have only local (to the connected link) significance [8].

(Hmm, it's not clear if this talks about the forward tree only, the
reverse tree only, or both...perhaps "both" is the intention).

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.