On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, JINMEI Tatuya / [ISO-2022-JP] [EMAIL PROTECTED]@C#:H wrote:
> In any event, I'd first like to clarify the general point before going
> to each detail to avoid further confusion.  The question is:
>
>   We do not have an implementation on some part of RFC2462.  Can we
>   still recycle rfc2462bis as DS (process-wise), keeping that part,
>   despite the lack of implementation?
>
> If the answer is yes, we can concentrate on technical aspects of the
> discussion for both the M and O flags.
>
> If the answer is no, we need to somehow deprecate/remove the M flag,
> and then concentrate on issues about the O flag (as you suggested
> above).

This is a good question, and one for which you're not likely to get a
definitive answers.

In the past the implementation & interoperability reports have been
more or less half-assed, and you could not really get a good feel on
what's actually implemented and tested to interoperate.  I've
personally sensed a desire for a bit more detail, but not necessarily
to all the gritty details.

On the other hand, in Robert Elz's appeal, at least in that case, the
IESG felt (or that's how I interpreted it at least) that it is
traditionally not been required to demonstrate implementation and
interoperability of even the smallest details of the spec:

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/APPEALS/kre-ipngwg-addr-appeal-withdraw.txt

[...]
 The IESG notes that the existing practice when advancing documents on
 the standards track has not involved having implementation reports
 include detailed verification that implementations enforce every
 statement as is implied above, in the absence of explicit text
 requiring that an implementation make such checks.
[...]

So, my personal feeling is, "yes, we should be stricter on what we
accept as "implemented & interoperable", but whether that happens in
practice is another thing.

Hope this helps..