>> In this message, I pointed out that there might be possible conflict
>> between the IPv6 address architecture and link specific documents
>> (e.g. IPv6 over ethernet), and asked how we can clarify the point.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I've not seen a direct answer to the question...I now
>> think it's time to decide how we should deal with this issue in
>> rfc2462bis.

> First of all let's not forget that the addressing architecture is 100%
> unambiguous in saying that unicast interface IDs are required to be
> 64 bits, so a link-specific document that attempted to define a different
> ID length would be in direct conflict with RFC 3513. So the question
> *cannot* arise unless RFC 3513 is updated or the IESG approves something
> that is broken.

I don't think I forgot the point.  I know RFC3513 and RFC 3587 are
100% unambiguous.  I know link-specific documents (e.g. IPv6 over
ethernet) are also 100% unambiguous.  The problem is that the two sets
of unambiguous documents may conflict with each other or at least the
two sets may seem to conflict for implementors.

>> But at the same time, I guess it is irresponsible to leave the RFC2462
>> text on this point as is, because we know this issue has been annoying
>> implementors.

> In my view, only because they failed to review the addressing architecture,
> which is unambiguous.

I don't think so, because RFC2462 uses link-specific documents as the
primary source about (the length of the) the IFID:

   interface identifier - a link-dependent identifier for an interface
        that is (at least) unique per link [ADDR-ARCH].
[...]
        The exact length of an interface identifier and the way
        it is created is defined in a separate link-type specific
        document that covers issues related to the transmission of IP
        over a particular link type (e.g., [IPv6-ETHER]).

BTW: according to what you were saying, it seems to me that

1. the primary source should actually be the ADDR-ARCH document, not
   link-specific documents
2. link-specific documents must be consistent with ADDR-ARCH.  If not,
   the IESG will reject the document.

If this is the case, I'm just happy with it (is there any direct
reference which states that ADDR-ARCH is the primary?).  Then it will
probably be enough to revise the definition to:

   interface identifier - a link-dependent identifier for an interface
        that is (at least) unique per link [ADDR-ARCH].
[...]
        The exact length of an interface identifier is defined in
        [ADDR-ARCH] based on the address format.  The way it is
        created is defined in a separate link-type specific document
        that covers issues related to the transmission of IP over a
        particular link type (e.g., [IPv6-ETHER]).

perhaps with a note like this:

        The link-type specific document may also define the length of
        the interface identifier.  However, it must be consistent with
        the definition in [ADDR-ARCH].

(If there is a reference that I asked above, it's also good to add the
reference here.)

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.