At 11:57 AM 5/27/2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,

Russ Housley has updated his DISCUSS to be the following (Russ see question
in on point 2 below):

1) I had many, many comments on section 8.3.  My comments were longer
  than the section itself.  Given that, I decided to provide replacement
  text instead of the comments.  The basis of most of these changes is
  alignment with draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-ah-algorithms-01, which is has just
  been forwarded to the IESG by the IPsec WG.  Here is my proposed text:
  [snip]

-> Resolution: I think that the text is fine, I will update the document
   accordingly

-> Question to Russ - how to handle IKEv1 vs. IKEv2?  What would be a
   reasonble reference here?

IKEv2 is still not final. It should be done in a month or so if you want to have your document blocked on the normative reference.

2) In section 8.4, one of my previous comments was rejected without
  explanation.  I said:  "I am uncomfortable with support for IKE being
  a MAY.  It ought to be a SHOULD."  While I understand that an
  Informational document is an inappropriate vehicle to impose this
  requirement, the deployment benefits can be pointed out.

  I believe that the 1st paragraph of section 8.4 needs further explanation.
  A security association is  identified by a triple consisting of a Security
  Parameter Index (SPI), an IP Destination Address, and a security protocol
  identifier (either AH or ESP).  So, manual key management involves a
  bit more than inserting the same cryptographic key in communicating peers.
  This document should not specify how that is done, but it should indicate
  that it needs to be done.

-> Resolution: I could update the text from MAY to a SHOULD, does the WG
   feel this is reasonable?

Steve Bellovin and I have been asked to provide text. Working on it ...

Russ