On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Erik Nordmark wrote:
> > No, each subscriber is allowed to have multiple MAC addresses (but
> > each of those MAC addresses get their own IP address and are isolated
> > from the others) -- at least for xDSL.
>
> But each subscriber has a separate subnet prefix, right?
> Or how does broadcast work?

The subnet prefix is shared.

> Or are you talking about the broken configuration when each subscriber
> sees e.g. a /24 subnet, but some of the IP addresses in that subnet
> are allocated to other subscribers whom they can't talk do (because some
> filtering blocks the ARP packets?)

ARP is blocked between hosts in the same subnet, and the router
proxy-arp's for everyone else, so they can still communicate.

I think this draft explains this somewhat:
draft-melsen-mac-forced-fwd-01.txt (I've only glanced through it so
I'm not 100% sure whether it's it)