> The only standard solution so far is to treat these networks as NBMA,
> i.e. on the router for ND. This is not satisfactory, because it places a
> lot of burden on the router and also because it leaves out ad hoc
> networks.

There is a middle ground since ND can be configured to have the routers
not advertise any on-link prefixes (while still advertising prefixes
for stateless addrconf or not; that's orthogonal).

In this mode the hosts would send all packets to a default router
and the router has the option to redirect the host to the on-link link-layer
address. Thus the only nodes multicasting NS messages would be the routers.

I don't know how much this would improve the situation, and whether it
would also be benefitial if the routers broadcast the NS messages.

  Erik