> > Major issue: RFC 2461 actually says that in 6.2.2:
> >       - enabling IP forwarding capability (i.e., changing the system
> >         from being a host to being a router), when the interface's
> >         AdvSendAdvertisements flag is TRUE.
>
> > This is not how I recall the intent when we wrote the spec. But RFC 2461
> > is consistent on this point; a router has AdvSendAdvertisements set.
> > If it doesn't want to be a default router the RAs would
> > have a router lifetime of zero.
>
> That's right, so I'm not sure how this can be a new issue.  Do you
> want additional clarification on this in rfc2461bis?

It seems like in 2461bis-00.txt that the introduction of IsRouter in
6.2.1 is inconsistent with the text in 6.2.2 about AdvSendAdvertisements.

RFC 2461 reads as if a node "advertises" itself as a router (by sending RAs
and setting the R-flag in NAs any time AdvSendAdvertisements is set.
Thus the "AdvSendIsRouter" is really the same as AdvSendAdvertisements.
(Note that reusing "IsRouter" is confusing since that is the name of
the conceptual per-neighbor cache entry variable.)

Thus I think we can accomplish the intended clarification by changing section
6.2.1 FROM
      IsRouter       A flag indicating whether routing is enabled on
                     this interface. Enabling routing on the interface
                     would imply that a router can forward packets
                     to or from the interface.

                     Default: FALSE

      AdvSendAdvertisements
                     A flag indicating whether or not the router sends
                     periodic Router Advertisements and responds to
                     Router Solicitations.
      AdvSendAdvertisements
                     A flag indicating whether or not the node performs all of
                        - sends periodic Router Advertisements,
                        - responds to Router Solicitations, and
                        - forwards packets to or from the interface.
                     In short, whether or not the node behaves as a router
                     on the interface.
                     In particular, AdvSendAdvertisements affects whether
                     the R-flag in the Neighbor Advertisement messages is set.

   Erik