On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Erik Nordmark wrote:
[...]
> Making anything a hard error seems to imply that TCP would immediately
> give up, whether the connection was already established or in the process
> of being established.

Unfortunately, yes.

But that is not such a big problem as I see it.  Remember, for
sessions that are already established, this only happens through the
NUD process.  By default, that's 30 seconds, or until you want to
actually communicate (e.g., quiet SSH sessions would not be reset) if
the implementations conforms to the note:

      Note: An implementation may actually defer changing the state from
      REACHABLE to STALE until a packet is sent to the neighbor, i.e.,
      there need not be an explicit timeout event associated with the
      expiration of ReachableTime.