Hi,

I think that instead of mandating either a single rate limiter per
router or one per interface for locally originated ICMP traffic, the
specification should be loosened up to allow either.

Multiplying the ICMP rate a node originates by the number of
interfaces should not make much of a difference operationally, and if
a router has many interfaces it also has more paths to spread this
traffic over.  On the other hand, for a strictly software based
router, having to implement a rate limiter per interface is probably
unneeded additional complexity.

Therefore, I think mandating one or the other method would be unwise.

Regards,

- Håvard