Hi Pekka,
  Thanks for the quick review. See comments inline

Regards
Suresh

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Pekka Savola wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Suresh Krishnan wrote:
>>   "Addresses generated using Stateless address autoconfiguration
>>    [ADDRCONF]contain an embedded 64-bit interface identifier, which
>>    remains constant over time.  Anytime a fixed identifier is used in
>>    multiple contexts, it becomes possible to correlate seemingly
>>    unrelated activity using this identifier.
>>
>>    The correlation can be performed by
>>    o  An attacker who is in the path between the node in question and
>>       the peer(s) it is communicating to, and can view the IPv6
>>       addresses present in the datagrams.
>>    o  An attacker who can access the communication logs of the peers
>>       with which the node has communicated.
>
>In other words, this extension is not only aimed at protecting the
>privacy the outside observers (like the nodes you're communicating
>with), but also those who are able to perform on-the-path privacy
>violations (ISPs, FBI/NSA intercepting the packets, etc.).

Yes.

>Has the protection from your ISPs and federal agencies etc. really
>been the requirement/goal from the start?

On-path does not have to be FBI/NSA or ISPs. It can be anyone on an
upstream network (even in the same organization as the user). I would
assume if the FBI/NSA or the ISPs wanted to intercept they could do
so at the layer 2 connection to the provider. Do you want me to add a
statement about lawful intercept still being possible?

>I'd like to observe that anyone who will be able to do on-the-path
>analysis will be able to jeopardize the privacy of the user typically
>in any case.  While I think privacy is pretty important, I fear that
>this mechanism is insufficient to provide privacy to the users if
>we're concerned about on-path analysis, and I'd be hesitant to include
>it in the problem statement without warnings.
>
>I'm interested if others have comments on this.
>
>> * I hope the problem statement above justifies the use of privacy
>> addresses for ULAs
>
>I'm not so sure: so, you'd assume that the evil enterprise
>administrator would be eavesdropping and correlating enterprise's
>internal traffic, or the enterprise's internal web servers would be
>correlating the behaviour?
>
>As far as I can see, it's exactly the opposite -- privacy extensions
>should not be enabled by default for ULAs.

This is already the case. Privacy extensions are disabled by default for
ALL types of global addresses (including the ULA).

>> * Added the following text specifying the conditions for DHCPv6 to be used
>> for privacy
>>
>>   "One way to avoid some of the problems discussed above is to use
>>    DHCPv6 [DHCPV6] for obtaining addresses.  The DHCPv6 server could be
>>    configured to hand out addresses that change over time.  But DHCPv6
>>    will solve the privacy issue only if it frequently handed out
>>    constantly changing addresses to the nodes.  Since this does not
>>    happen automatically, and is difficult to configure manually, DHCPv6
>>    is not really suited for solving the privacy issues addressed by this
>>    document."
>
>This doesn't mention that DHCPv6 can hand out the temporary addresses,
>but that there is little benefit to do so compared to just doing
>RFC3041 (unless the site has disabled stateless address autoconf
>complately), but this is good enough for me now.

OK. That was the reason I left it out. I will leave it as is.