> Quoting from S5.2:
 >
 >    Next-hop determination for a given unicast destination operates as
 >    follows.  The sender performs a longest prefix match against the
 >    Prefix List to determine whether the packet's destination
 > is on- or
 >    off-link.  If the destination is on-link, the next-hop
 > address is the
 >    same as the packet's destination address.  Otherwise, the sender
 >    selects a router from the Default Router List (following the rules
 >    described in Section 6.3.6).
 >
 > So if there are no routers admitting to be connected to the
 > link and the
 > prefix list is empty (no routers to fill it), what happens
 > here?  Presumably
 > the longest prefix match will fail implying that the address
 > is off link.
 > Hence we have to find a router, but there isn't one.  What
 > do we do with the
 > packet?

=> There are two basic cases to consider:
1. Dst address is off-link (i.e. longest prefix match fails).
In this case you'll either send it over the tunnel or drop
the packet if there is no tunnel.
2. Longest prefix match works, destination is on-link. This will
work.

 > With a point-to-point link (like the tunnels) we could just
 > stuff the packet
 > down the link and hand off the decision to the other end.
 > For an isolated
 > multiaccess link the decision is not so simple: Just having
 > our own address
 > doesn't allow us to decide whether any other address is on
 > link, so if the
 > destination is not in the neighbor cache already what do we
 > do? Toss the
 > packet or assume it is on-link? Being able to configure an
 > on-link prefix
 > would solve the problem IMO.

 > Am I missing something here?

=> You must be assuming that you can have a link with
no routers and inconsistent prefixes on different hosts.
For instance, you're assuming that you can have an isolated
link where host1's address is configured from one prefix
and host2's address is configured based on a completely
different one. When we discussed this issue last year there
was agreement that if you have this scenario, hosts should be
configured from the same prefix. If that happens, there should not
be a problem with on-link determination. You don't need to
manually add a prefix to the prefix list here, you simply
configure all addresses using the same prefix.

Hesham

 > Regards,
 > elwyn

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.