On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Fred Templin wrote:
Pekka Savola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I can't  figure how ICMPv6 could notice any further data corruption in any
case, so I see no direct justification in *this* spec.)

We are speaking here about the case of the IPv6 layer noticing data corruption in a received packet and then sending an ICMPv6 error message with the new Parameter Problem code back to the source. Data corruption can be detected, e.g., if the link layer has a way to inform the IPv6 layer of packets received with errors - but this is not necessarily the *only* example.

OK. Are there link layer specifications which do this? And if so, are there implementations that do that?

I have no doubt that there may be link-layers which might detect or be able to detect corruption. But the typical approach then, AFAICS, is either to silently discard packet, or to try to retransmit at link-layer if there was a link-layer problem.