On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 04:27:11AM -0800, Bob Hinden wrote:

> My take of this is that they should remain in the IPv6 address
> architecture.  There is current usage and removing them would break other
> specifications.

So then let me add another voice for deprecation. My experience is
that the precise behaviour of these mapped addresses is pretty hard
to predict in practice and that makes code maintenance more costly.
My observation is that mapped addresses initially look appealing,
but they turn out to be problematic later and I have now given up
on using them.

If these addresses are kept in the document, I think there should
be a clear warning attached about using them.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder               International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>     P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany