Pekka,

At 07:39 AM 02/01/2005, Pekka Savola wrote:
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Bob Hinden wrote:
My take of this is that they should remain in the IPv6 address architecture. There is current usage and removing them would break other specifications.

I would agree with that conclusion for mapped addresses, but I have heard NO ONE explicitly saying anything about the usefulness of compatible addresses.

With the email received after yours, I think it is clear there is not a consensus to remove either the IPv4 compatible or mapped addresses from the IPv6 address architecture. I think your email helped to clarify this.

Thanks,
Bob