>>>>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:26:26 +1100,
>>>>> Greg Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Okay, so this is what was referred to in the meeting today:

> How about a paragraph (maybe somewhere else) saying:

> "... It is possible that a host may receive a solicitation or a router
>       advertisement without a link-layer address option included.
>       These messages will not create or update neighbor cache entries,
>       except with respect to the IsRouter flag as specified in
>       Sections XXX and YYY.

>       If a neighbour cache entry does not exist for the source of such a
>       message, Address Resolution will be required before unicast
>       communications with that address to begin.
>       This is particularly relevant for unicast responses to
>       solicitations where an additional packet exchange is required for
>       advertisement delivery.
> ..."

I can live with this approach, but I responded to this message in the
mailing list with a slightly different flavor (attached below).

I don't have a strong opinion on either way, and leave it to you,
Hesham (as document editor), or the wg as a whole.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

> It has been a bit confusing with crossing e-mails and
> timezone differences.

Sorry, I actually noticed the possible confusion when I was writing
the messages, but I simply let it go..

> I think that there's agreement for clarification.

Yes, I think so.

> I think that people agree what needs to be clarified.

Ditto.

> I'm not sure if it's decided where to put the clarification
> (but I don't care myself, so long as everyone else agrees)

Actually, I'm not sure, either.

> I'm not sure if there is a text which is agreed.
> (I've heard more harmonious responses in later text, but
>   there were two or three fairly related pieces of text going round).

Again, I'm not sure, either.  But I agreed on the Christian's second
proposal **if we agree on the need for revising Section 6.2.6**.

I don't have a strong preference on how to fix the issue, but if I
were to ask, I'd

- at least add a general note about what the node should do when it
  receives an unsolicited ND message (NS, RS, RA, Redirect) without
  LLAO and does not have a corresponding neighbor cache.  I don't care
  about the place, but I'd probably use Section 7.3.3, and

- updated APPENDIX C (state machine) accordingly, and

- (optionally) describe a bit more details of each case (e.g., add
  clarification 6.2.6 for the RS case)

Hope this helps,