Perry Lorier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Bill Fenner wrote:
> > I usually think of the small home router configuration problem -
> > buy a box, plug it in, it wants you to configure it using a web
> > page, and it's probably fe80::1.  I don't have any systems in my
> > house that have fewer than two non-loopback interfaces.  Since
> > this is presumably a one-off, I guess the default interface
> > configuration is an option, if a little clumsy.

> I don't understand this use case.  Assuming I have a router and it's
> manual says type in http://<some-link-local-address><some-delimiter>de0/
> it's going to fail on my Linux machine that uses eth0, and if it says
> use "eth0" it's going to fail on the other Linux machine that has eth1
> on that network.  Link local addresses (that include an interface
> identifier) don't make sense outside of the local machine, including in
> printed documentation.

Right. It's important to remember that zone ids are a local name space
-- one doesn't know what the zone names are on someone else's machine
or at a different site. Thus, anyone shipping a product that says
"configure me by typing in the following address into your browser"
can't include a zone id.

A very sophisticated user might know about scopes and be able to add
an appropriate zone id in some cases, but for the general user, this
is well beyond what can be reasonably expected.

So I don't see how literals with zone ids play a useful part of
simplifying config, as in the home router config case.

Thomas