(Just coming back to normal work from a vacation, sorry for the
delayed response)

>> Is my understanding now correct?

> Yes, that looks right.  And even if getaddrinfo took whatever
> form directly (either the separator is '%' or getaddrinfo is
> modified to accept the URI character as well), I think it's
> reasonable to expect step 5 to occur even if step 4 doesn't
> have to.

I'll be surprised if others, particularly those who were eager for the
deprecation of site-local addresses, are convinced with this
explanation, I'm fine with continuing the discussion if they are.

So, I guess the appropriate next step for this work is to make
consensus on this, which mostly equals to my question -1:

  -1. are we okay with forcing URL/URI parsers to understand the
      detailed semantics of the scoped address syntax and to strip the
      zone ID (+ delimiter) part by itself for the reason because the
      parsers would already need to do some extra work for the special
      syntax?
(slightly modified based on the discussion so far)

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.