On Fri, 27 May 2005, Erik Nordmark wrote:
The issue I see if we recommend that clients (which implement both RFC 3315 and 3736) always send a Solicit (when some bit is set in the RA telling it to use DHCP), then such a client will not interoperate with currently deployed 3736 DHCP servers. My understanding is that there is some deployment of 3736 DHCP servers (to do prefix delegation and DNS configuration, etc).

Do we know that there is zero deployment of 3736 servers today?

If we need to handle those, it seems like either
- the client needs to try a few Solicits first, and if that fails, try
  an Information-Request. (Or try them in parallel??)
- Have some indication in the RA that only 3736 service is available on
  the network, so that the client can do the Information-Request only.

FWIW, I strongly believe we need to deal with _both_ stateless-only servers *and* clients.

I'd also prefer that we would not need to extend RFC3736 to have to include (some) support for handling Solicits.