Am Freitag, den 27.05.2005, 13:45 -0700 schrieb Erik Nordmark:
> The issue I see if we recommend that clients (which implement both
> RFC
> 3315 and 3736) always send a Solicit (when some bit is set in the RA
> telling it to use DHCP), then such a client will not interoperate
> with
> currently deployed 3736 DHCP servers.
> My understanding is that there is some deployment of 3736 DHCP
> servers
> (to do prefix delegation and DNS configuration, etc).

In my mind RFC3736 is flawed, as it's clients use an
Information-Request message to initiate communication with a
DHCPv6 server and not a Solicit message like RFC3513.
It is _too_ lite.

It would be really nice and handy to initiate either stateless or
stateful DHCPv6 with the same message. If so, we wouldn't need
the M/O bits anymore. In this case the client would simply initiate
a(n Information) Request message and would get all the information
that are available on the link, including an address or not.

In the current state -- being stateful and stateless DHCPv6 two
independent protocols -- we need the M/O bits as indicators for what
is available on the link and to reduce the message count.

So
1)we should use M/O as indicators, or
2)fix RFC3736 to understand Solicit message and then we could drop M/O.

While it is more work and probably more pain, I'd prefer the latter.

So long,
     Christian