> We need to agree on requirements before we try to engineer solutions.
> Here is what I've heard as requirements:
>
> 1) Ability to indicate to a host "DHCP is not available on this link",
>    with the expectation that the host won't send any DHCP messages
>
> 2) Ability for a host to get all desired and available DHCP
>    configuration with a single DHCP message exchange
>    - if a host wants HCB, it sends an HCB request (Solicit)
> and receives
>      HCB and/or ICB replies
>    - if a host wants ICB, it sends an ICB request
> (Information-request)
>      and receives ICB replies

I agree.

> 1 is a requirement in scenarios with limited resources (e.g.,
> wireless),

add e.g. wireless, admin does not want stateful)  This is important.
Many here beleive that stateful should never be used other than for
configuration.

> where polling for DHCP is unacceptable.

2 is a requirement to avoid
> timeout delays or other complexity in getting ICB reply when
> host would
> prefer HCB reply.

Problem is what controls if addresses are permitted to be requested?

I liked my layout of the problems better :--)

thanks
/jim