> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 12:16, Soliman, Hesham wrote:
 > > => How do you know if you have no route to the destination?
 >
 > You consult your forwarding table.
 >
 > > Could it not be on one of the links?
 >
 > It could be if you have a forwarding table entry that points
 > to one or
 > more of your local interfaces.
 >
 > >  The difference is that
 > > this case does not _assume_ that the destination is on-link, which
 > > was there before.
 >
 > I does assume that that the destination is on-link.  In
 > outbound packet
 > processing, you don't attempt to do link-layer address
 > resolution until
 > you've done the forwarding table lookup and done on-link
 > determination.

=> I'll try to answer all of the above here if possible:
The text does not say that you should do address resolution
before consulting your neighbor cache or forwarding table and do
on-link determination. Although, this can probably be made clearer.
So, I think the clarification needed is in the order of steps. I.e.
The current text seems to skip a couple of steps.

 > > In any case, this issue was discussed with Jinmei last week and
 > > here is the suggested text that we agreed on. Please let me know
 > > if you have a comment:

 > The same argument does not apply to single homed nodes.  The point of
 > removing the on-link assumption was to make sure the node
 > does _not_ do
 > address resolution in the absence of a route to the destination.  Are
 > you saying that it's ok to do that if you have more than one network
 > interface?  That's how I read this text.

=> You seem to make this assumption because the text does not explicitly
spell out the order of events. Would it be clearer if the text explains
that address resolution is only done if the on-link determination
process indicates that the destination is onlink? If you agree with this
I can send suggested text.

Hesham

 > -Seb

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.