Hi,

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:32:48 +0900 (JST)
Ryota Hirose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:19:56 +0200
>
> > My common sense tells me that the authors of RFC 2464 didn't consider
> > the case where the MTU would legitimately be larger than 1500 bytes.
> > They did consider the case where router advertisements contain an MTU
> > that is apparently incorrect, because it's larger than the standard
> > allows.
>

> Yes, your idea is a realistic, and also equal to almost current
> implementations, I think.
>
> BTW, suppose following netowrk.
>
>          Internet
>           ROUTER
>             | 100BASE-TX / MTU=1500
>         GbE-SWITCH
>          |      |
>          |      | 1000BASE-T / MTU=9018
>          |      |
>        HOST1   HOST2
>
> HOST1, HOST2 and GbE-SWITCH support 1000BASE-T and Jumbo Frames, but
> ROUTER has only 100BASE-TX interfaces and doesn't support Jumbo
> Frames.  In this network, ROUTER will send RA.  If the MTU option,
> which value is 1500, is included in RA, HOST1 and HOST2 will accept
> it, and are disabled Jumbo Frames.  So, if we want to use Jumbo
> Frambes between HOSTs, (1) HOSTs must neglect MTU option, (2) ROUTER
> must send RA without MTU option, (3) or ROUTER must send RA with MTU
> option which value is 9018, illegal MTU for ROUTER itself.
>
> (2) RA without MTU option is always valid.  But (1) neglect MTU
> option, or (3) MTU option with illegal value for sender itself, are
> acceptable?

I'd think not, probably in either (1) or (3), as an interface MTU value
implies that the other devices attached to the same segment / link can
also receive (and process) the MTU sized frames.

To support differing MTU values on a single link/segment, each node
would have to somehow keep track of the Maximum Receive Unit value of
its link/segment neighbours. PPP supports doing this, and is able to do
it because a level of layer 2 parameter negotiation goes on before the
link is brought up. It is also simple to do because there is only one
neighbour.

For this sort of thing to be supported on a multi-access media, such as
an ethernet, I'd think some sort of similar, per neighbour, layer 2
parameter negotiation of discovery protocol would have to be developed.

A solution for your specific scenario would be to have some way of
specifying differing MTUs for onlink and offlink destinations, possibly
in the RAs from the router, such that offlink traffic, which goes via
the router, uses a MTU smaller than or equal to the MRU MTU of the
router's interface. It may be worth developing something like this if
your scenario is common enough. Initially I though it may not be,
however, thinking about it a bit more I could see this set up might be
fairly typical for residential broadband scenarios in the future.

Regards,
Mark.