Hi Stephen,

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:20:40 -0500
"Stephen Sprunk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thus spake "Mark Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Thinking about this a bit more, this could probably be fairly easy to
> > achieve by creating a "onlink-MRU" or "interface-MRU" option for ND
> > Neighbour Advertisements. There'd need to be some logic in how a
> > sending node selects the size of the packets that it sends to a
> > neighbour, based on comparing the values of its own local interface
> > MTU, the link's MTU as announced in the RA(s) and the target
> > neighbours announced onlink-MRU, if it announces one.
> > If there aren't any big holes in what I'm suggesting, I'm willing to
> > spend some time co-authoring an Internet draft on this.
>
> The hole is that there may be an L2 device in the middle which has a lower
> MTU than the end hosts.  The neighbor MTU is an upper bound, but it's not
> guaranteed to work -- you need to probe to see what really works.

I agree that probing would be nice to have, however I don't think not
having it is a "black" hole.

When a larger than standard MTU is used (e.g., 9K jumbos over GigE
verses the 802.3 standard of 1500), the operator has made a conscious
decision to increase the MTU, and therefore needs to take responsibility
for ensuring that intermediary layer 2 devices support the increased
MTU. People who want use jumbo frames on GigE interfaces know usually
that they have to also have jumbo frame capable switches..

If we make the assumption that the intermediary link layer devices support the
largest node MTU/MRU on the segment, I think the problem becomes a lot
simpler, and then the issues to solve are :

(a) how to ensure large MTU/MRU capable end nodes use them when
communicating between each other.

(b) how to ensure end-nodes with smaller MTU/MRUs are not sent too large
frames by the large MTU/MRU capable end-nodes.

I think either of these issues could be solved by using a ND NS/NA MRU
type option, and, because RAs can carry a link-layer address, negating
the need for a node to perform a ND NS/NA transaction with the router,
at least initially, have an RA also possibly carry an MRU indication.

For multicast, the link standard MTU or the link RA announced MTU would
be used.

For nodes that don't implement this "MRU" option, they'll use the link
standard MTU to communicate with their neighbours and vice-versa, as per
IPv6 operation today.

I do agree this is in some respects a half-way step - it would be better
if a method of probing could take place within the link to cope with a
diversity of MTU/MRU capabilities and limitations, including those of
intermediarly layer 2 devices. Still, I think if the above allows people
to mix and match differing speed and MTU nodes on a layer 2
infrastructure that is known to support the largest-possible node
MTU/MRU, it could be beneficial.

Regards,
Mark.