Erik Nordmark  wrote:

> I think that might be a reasonable middle ground. It would still make it
> harder than in IPv4 to explore all hosts, yet one can have e.g. SNMP
> access to a local agent on the link that provide this (with appropriate
> SNMP security) to allow remote management.
>
> Elsewhere I've run into the management need to find a particular host
> from knowing only its MAC address. The suggestion to have INVARP would
> help with that subproblem.

I agree that the security issues here are great, and that there is a need in
the Management world for this feature. If you could limit this to an SNMP v3
secure function and not a IPv6 function then maybe we could work this out
within the security concerns of all involved. But that is a different WG (I
think that the SNMP v3 WG was closed down last year) so I would be real
careful in how we proceed.

Eric