Following up on the meeting session:

As the IPv6 working group draws to a close the *only* proper action is to
recommend to the IESG that all stable and eligible documents be progressed
along the standards track. The IESG will do whatever it would anyway, so it
does no good to try to fineness things by endless debates about last minute
tweaks and the resulting potential to recycle in place. If there are minor
clarifications to make, those should be done as independent documents in the
context of addenda to the stable documents. IPv6 as the components which
functionally replace RFC 791, 826, etc. is complete. Solving problems that
are still unsolved in IPv4 remains as work for continuing or future working
groups. That does not diminish the stability of the base documents, so they
need to progress now.

On the discussion about prefixes, we need to stop revisiting decisions. The
IETF does need to make a statement because leaving this to the RIRs is
equivalent to leaving the fox in charge of access to the chickens. The point
I was trying to make at the mic is that there are vocal participants in the
RIR community that are stuck in the conservation mindset and can't seem to
do basic math. They will agree with Thomas, Geoff, & Lea's work that without
doing anything IPv6 will be sufficient for a number of decades, but they
seem to loose context when the simple change of the HD from .8 to .94 buys
an order of magnitude which results in IPv6 being sufficient for a number of
*centuries*. That timeframe is substantially long enough that it becomes
difficult to grasp so without a good grasp of the lifetime their
conservation mindset steps in claiming the need to curtail wasted bits at
every turn. The whole /56 discussion is looking to take us from centuries to
tens (or hundreds if combined with the HD change) of millennia. What they
fail to recognize is that this is a zero sum game where we currently have a
balance, and moving the efficiency toward allocation removes it from
operational deployment models that are different from the past. It is
extremely easy to overlook the fact that some deployment models don't
currently exist because they can't under the constraints of current
allocation policy. This leads to a false belief that they will not appear
over the next several centuries because we have yet to see them, when the
reality is that it is the limited perspective policies which insure they
will not ever appear. The IETF has to take the position of broad vision here
and flatly state that undue conservation is detrimental.

The RIR members are basically a greedy bunch. For those who have forgotten
history, the initial 64 bit proposal exceeded the IPv6 design requirements
by 3 orders of magnitude. At the start of the dot com boom it appeared there
would not be enough room for comfortable waste by the service providers in
terms of hierarchy so the entire 64 bits was dedicated to routing. Removing
the allocation needs of 10^15 hosts meant 'more than enough' was now 'more
than more than enough', particularly in light of the bust and consolidation.
Even so there are continuing complaints about the /64 boundary and demands
to relax that constraint because in historical deployment terms that number
of bits per subnet is a waste. Never mind the issue that at some point in
the lifetime of IPv6 the IEEE will be forced to move from 48 to 64 bit
EUI's... Fundamentally the RIR members just don't like being told what to
do. If left alone they will constrain network deployments to what has been
done in the past. It is up to the IPv6 WG to set the bar to avoid the state
where people are forced to work around the restrictive policies of a
provider and/or LIR/RIR.

Finally it takes extreme hubris to believe that IPv6 is 'THE' protocol for
centuries or millennia to come. Technology moves on, and IPv6 will be
replaced long before the pool is exhausted. Those who point to the phone
system as an example conveniently overlook the rolling evolution that
effectively reduces the window of applicability. While there may be pockets
where things still work, in my experience equipment from 40 years ago is not
compatible with the current network so that example should be measured in
decades rather than centuries. Even the numbering has undergone periodic
change, so claiming we know enough to recognize allocation waste centuries
before the person with a bright new idea is born is the highest form of
arrogance. The /64 decision provides more than 'more than enough' routing
space, and the /48 decision allows flexibility at the site level without
significant impact on the service provider's ability to waste bits
themselves. Changing those values only makes it harder to innovate in the
space of automated configuration of site networks and hosts, and really
doesn't buy any useful time because we are talking about adding time to the
point well beyond the useful lifetime of the protocol. As I said in
draft-hain-prefix-consider-00.txt there may be business reasons to consider
other lengths, but there are no technical reasons. We need to state that
clearly before the IPv6 WG closes.

Tony