one of them sounds like it is redundant. I think the Router Alert predated the HBH header...

On Nov 1, 2005, at 6:04 PM, John Spence wrote:

Hello;

If the H-B-H extension header means "all intermediate nodes must look in here for options to process", why is the "Router Alert" option needed?  As I read the text of the two RFCs, the Router Alert Option is redundant - just including a H-B-H header means "intermediate nodes must look at this packet even if it is not addressed to them", which seems to be the same meaning as Router Alert.

I must be missing something.  Can someone provide a quick answer, or a pointer to the answer so I can research it myself?

Thanks very much.

John Spence