-----Original Message-----

This *is* a protocol issue because of the way default address selection works.

BTW, M&A bot set *is* a valid configuration, where on the same subnet
one would like to use both servers that want to use nothing but DHCP and
laptops who are perfectly happy with stateless autoconf (or small devices
who do not have  implemented anything else)

IMHO, the real problem with those bits is that their scope is wrong,
it applies indiferently on all nodes on the link, and I think this is not
correct.
Such a scope is fine for things like basic RS/RA, but config information
is to be applied on a per node basis, and not subnet wide.

This is the reason why I'm opposing the SHOULD for M&O.

BTw, I agreee with a previous post, there is no reason anymore to have two bits
fot that. The only thing that IMHO those bits mean is that DHCP service is
available,
i.e. there is either a DHCP server on the subnet or there is a relay agent.
Trying to differentiate on the capabilities of the said DHCP server
(full DHCP or only "other parameters" is meaningless, so I think
we could live with only one indicaive bit here.

    - Alain.