El 09/05/2006, a las 17:27, Pekka Savola escribió:

2) v6 ULA address selection problems

Deploying ULAs doesn't help here, it just makes the problem worse as you couldn't even use the 'matching scope' tweak.

Do we need to specify that v6 ULAs should be treated as "site scope" for the purposes of default address selection, or something else?

Note that I do not believe it's sufficient to require that each site (and each host within the site) deploys non-default RFC3484 policies.

but this seems a reasonable option...
I mean, only the end user (or the end site admin) knows if they actually have a nat and the domain where the ulas are routable.

I may agree that today it is likely that if the host needs to choose between a private v4 address and a ULA (wihtout any additional information) the defaul behaviour should be to preffer the v4 private to communicate with a global destiantion address, since it is likely that the v4 private address is natted, while the destiantion is outside the domain of routability of the ula

bottom line is:

ulas and private address can be used to reach a global destiantion address heavily depending on the local setup, hence local configuration per case is needed in the general case...

OTOH, the default settings should work for the more general case, so, i guess that in general it is more likely to be able to reach a global dst with a v4 private than with a ula...

regards, marcelo