On 16-jul-2006, at 20:19, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

I think this raises an interesting point; there are many DHCP options that would make sense to include in an RA -- basically all of the non-client-specific ones.

Well, then:

1. Create an new RA option that can contain arbitrary DHCPv6 options

There's two general solutions to this which would remove the need for DHCPv6 in most cases where it's needed today

DHCPv6 isn't needed today, and the RDNS option makes sure it's not needed in the future where there is no IPv4 RDNS server configured, either.

If we present a solution just for DNS, are we going to have to work on a dozen or more of these drafts, one each for DNS, NBNS, NTP, TFTP, etc?

The difference between DNS and these others is that EVERY general purpose host connected to the internet needs to have DNS servers configured, while this isn't true for the other protocols, and/or the server for these other protocols is much less dependent on the connectivity of the host at any given moment in time.