Inline:

On 8/8/06 10:54 AM, "ext Pars Mutaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> From your draft:
>
>    |Routers that implement the current recommendations would send the
>    |periodic multicast router advertisements every 30 minutes, which can
>    |be a significant problem in mobile/cellular network environments.
>
> Why do you think 1 multicast RA per 30 minutes is a significant problem
> for a host? Personally, I would think that 1 RA per 30 mins has a
> negligible impact on energy cost. 30 minutes is really longtime IMHO.

So if you consider for example a GGSN which may have several hundred
thousand hosts attached to it (GGSN the AR for all these hosts), having to
send a periodic RA to all these hosts is an expense with no real benefit.
In order to deliver the RA, the host has to be paged, radio resources
allocated and a traffic channel established to deliver the RA.

So what is the benefit of doing this operation? I agree that waking up a
host every 30 minutes to deliver an RA is not a significant drain on the
battery, but it is a factor. Additionally the fact that you have to deliver
the RA as a unicast message to a very large number of hosts is a waste of
the radio resources. Having a host establish a traffic channel only for the
purpose of receiving the periodic RA is sub-optimal. Why have a specific
interval (MAX) of 30 minutes only? Why not let it be 180 mins or 240 mins?
30 Mins is a value IMO which is as random as choosing 180, 240 or something
else.

> In addition this may be useful:
> Every 30 minutes (or less), my host will wake up, look around i.e.
> receive the RA, thus make sure that the access router is *still*
> with me, and sleep again.

If the host wants to make sure whenever it wakes up (not periodically just
for receiving an RA), it can just as well send a RTR solicitation to confirm
that it still is connected to the AR and be happy.

-Raj