John,

I would like the capability to have an interface construct a link- local
address via some mechanism (EUI-64 from MAC, as an example) as normal,
then configure a privacy address, all without autoconfiguring a
global-scope address from the RA being sent on the subnet (there would
be no valid or preferred global-scope addresses containing the MAC).
This interface would be harder to scan for from off-link, since the only
valid global-scope address would be a privacy address - no
autoconfigured address embedding FFFE or a small set of OUIs (there are
probably only a few hundred OUIs really in wide deployment) would be
configured on the interface.

First of all, even with the auto-configured addresses, it still very hard to do any kind of scanning. The IEEE mac based interface IDs are very sparse.

I don't think anything new is required to do what you want. A node can create auto-configured address and privacy addresses. Which addresses it uses for what purposes is completely under it's control. It doesn't have to use the auto-configured address for communication if it doesn't want to. It could only use the privacy based address if it choose to.

This is not supported today, I do not believe, but I think it would be a
valuable tool for administrators to have.  What is your opinion?

I personally don't think this is very useful, but it is allowed under the current specifications. Implementors and/or vendor could easily build in this type of address usage policy if they saw a need or customer requirement.

Bob