Hi Bob - thanks for the quick reply.  Three things:

1) If I have autoconfiguration enabled, and I autoconfigure a
global-scope address from an RA where the valid lifetime is greater than
zero (the usual case certainly), I would normally respond to connections
from other nodes at that address.  I guess I could use a platform
firewall to suppress that.  I guess I'd like a switch that says "do not
consider autoconfigured addresses valid even if they have a positive
valid lifetime", but I think that would put me at odds with the ND
specifications.  Maybe the platform firewall is a solution.

2) As for the value, I like it when implementers have choices.  I hear
people talk about the difficulty of scanning a 128-bit addressing space,
but it is not hard, if autoconfiguration is in use and the attacker
knows a little about an organization, to get that down to more like a 10
OUIs x 2^24 problem.  You are right - still significant - but not
insurmountable.

3) I got on off-list suggestion that maybe CGA is a potential solution
for this, which is a good thought too.

John Spence
Command Information (HQ: Herndon VA)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]