[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
From: "Durand, Alain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2006/08/22 Tue PM 10:31:10 CDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Syam Madanapalli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Subject: RE: RE: Prefix Delegation using ICMPv6

Thanks for the quick e-mail. As one of the co-authors, I'd in turn like to reply (and state that ICMPv6 PD is ANOTHER way to do IPv6 PD, NOT a replacement for the existing mechanism). FWIW, please see comments in-line:

This is probably the crux of the issue.

I believe that having multiple IETF standardized ways to achieve the same thing
is a bad idea.

Hi Alain, I respect your opinion but believe differently.

However, Alain is only citing a design principle that we often use when
deciding whether a new idea is valuable. You'll find it in RFC 1958:

   3.2 If there are several ways of doing the same thing, choose one.
   If a previous design, in the Internet context or elsewhere, has
   successfully solved the same problem, choose the same solution unless
   there is a good technical reason not to.  Duplication of the same
   protocol functionality should be avoided as far as possible, without
   of course using this argument to reject improvements.

but it certainly wasn't original then. In other words, you have to
supply "a good technical reason" to add new functions. Given that
DHCP has become pretty much universal in IPv4 deployment, I'm having
a hard time seeing why the same won't happen for IPv6.

     Brian

BTW, there is already at least one such instance of their being "multiple IETF
standardized ways to achieve" IPv6 addressing for nodes. SLAAC (RFC 2462[bis]) and
DHCPv6 (RFC 3315), AND DHCPv6 'lite' (RFC 3736).

Tim
Rom 8:28

 - Alain.