James,

> I don't think this quite captures the situation.

I tend to disagree; see below:

> First off, a prefix advertised in an RA is not assigned to an end
node, it
> is assigned to a link. A prefix can only rightly be considered to be
> assigned to a node when it is delegated via DHCP, this allows the node
> then assign the prefix to links downstream, or delegate further if the

> prefix isn't a /64.

The text does not say anywhere "assigned to (sic) an end node";
it says "associated with (sic) an end node/nodes", and prefixes
are associated with a link per (RFC4291, Section 2.1).

> Secondly, exactly what is meant by 'L=0' is underspecified by RFC
2461. I
> think everyone agrees with 'L=1' means, that the prefix is only being
> advertised to nodes that are on this physical link. Any effort to
tighten up
> the definitoin of  'L=0' is going to need wider discussion with the
ipv6 WG
> and possibly might impact RFC2461bis. This draft is currently in AD
> Evauation:Revised Draft Needed.

As long as a MN does not assign a prefix with 'L=0' to an interface,
then the RFC2461 interpretation of 'L=0' is irrelevant in terms of
the text I offered and RFC2461 is certainly specified well enough
such that implementations would not assign a prefix with 'L=0' to
an interface.

> Thirdly, this doesn't discuss at all link forwarding considerations,
> particularly with regard to link local multicast (i.e. forwarding of
traffic
> to link local multicast addresses). As we've discussed offlist,
exactly how
> link local multicast forwarding works for NETLMM is an open question
at this
> point. I started another thread on that for comment. So far, the
thread
> hasn't been very active.

Again, this is irrelevant wrt to the text I offered, and subject
for a separate thread of discussion. Such discussion should take
place on a wider distribution such as the INT area and IPv6 lists
since it is germane to the IPv6 addressing architecture and not
particular to NETLMM.

Fred
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

            jak