James,

> jak>> The last paragraph of Section 2.1 in 4291 says:
>
>    Currently, IPv6 continues the IPv4 model in that a subnet prefix is
>    associated with one link.  Multiple subnet prefixes may be assigned
>    to the same link.
>
> jak>> So whether the term "associated" or "assigned" is used is not
> particularly relevant. Both are used to mean that the link is what, in
> sense, "owns' the prefix, not the node.
>
> jak>> Inferring from the previous text in that section, the discussion
makes
> clear that prefixes are assigned to interfaces, not nodes. In fact,
the
> first sentence in the section says that:
>
>    IPv6 addresses of all types are assigned to interfaces, not nodes.
>
> jak>> I interpret the text in the paragraph you sent to mean that the
node
> "owns" the prefix. I would suggest modifying the text as follows:

"Associated" does not mean "owned" by any sense of the definition for
"associated" I was able to find in www.m-w.com.

>    An individual prefix is an IP prefix assigned to an interface on a
specific
>    MN on a single link and is not shared by any other node on the link
with
>    the exception of the last hop router, and a shared prefix is an IP
prefix that
>    may be assigned to interfaces on multiple MNs on a single link.

That is unnecessarily restrictive, as I believe you know.

> As long as a MN does not assign a prefix with 'L=0' to an interface,
> then the RFC2461 interpretation of 'L=0' is irrelevant in terms of
> the text I offered and RFC2461 is certainly specified well enough
> such that implementations would not assign a prefix with 'L=0' to
> an interface.
>
> jak>> I'm not sure I understand. Perhaps you can provide some
background on
> what exactly you are intending to convey with this text?

I don't know how to address a question like this without more detail,
since my statement above and the offered text read clearly to me.

> Thirdly, this doesn't discuss at all link forwarding considerations,
> particularly with regard to link local multicast (i.e. forwarding of
traffic
> to link local multicast addresses). As we've discussed offlist,
exactly how
> link local multicast forwarding works for NETLMM is an open question
at this
> point. I started another thread on that for comment. So far, the
thread
> hasn't been very active.

> Again, this is irrelevant wrt to the text I offered, and subject
> for a separate thread of discussion. Such discussion should take
> place on a wider distribution such as the INT area and IPv6 lists
> since it is germane to the IPv6 addressing architecture and not
> particular to NETLMM.
>
> jak>> I think it is relevant to multilink subnets. Suppose a NETLMM
domain
> is a multilink subnet. Then the question of what happens with link
local
> multicast is important. Does it get forwarded between physical links
or not?
> This determines whether the NETLMM domain looks like a single virtual
> physical link or not. An application that uses link local multicast
might
> work differently if link local multicast is forward or not, as we have

> discussed.

The point of the offered text is that by following the guidelines
a NETLMM domain cannot be a multilink subnet. I can call it something
like "Multilink Subnet Avoidance" if you'd like.

Here is the offered text again:

"5.  Multilink Subnet Considerations

An individual prefix is an IP prefix associated with a specific
MN, and a shared prefix is an IP prefix that may be associated
with multiple MNs.

ARs must not include an individual prefix in RAs that may be
received by a MN other than the one associated with the prefix.

ARs must not send RAs that include a shared prefix in a Prefix
Information Option with 'A'=1 unless there is operational assurance
of duplicate address detection/avoidance across the NETLMM domain.

ARs must not send RAs that include an individual or shared prefix
in a Prefix Information Option with 'L'=1 unless all RAs that
include the prefix and all MNs that receive them are associated
with a single link."

Fred