Hello,

In addition to the previous remarks:

Imagine that you have a friend who calls you to
check if you are still reachable, say every
15 minutes. And imagine that you don't need to
answer!

The periodic RAs are that friend.

This is frankly excellent. They periodically
simulate an incoming call, show me that the system
is capable of delivering incoming calls.

If there is a problem, I can move to another
operator's subnet!

And please note that RS/RA doesn't check the
paging system nor the paging channels. The only
true system check procedure is using the
unsolicited multicast RAs.

Multicast periodic RAs check the paging system,
the paging channels, and also the traffic channels.
If you have received a periodic RA, this means
that the whole system is working smoothly.

RS/RA does NOT check the paging system nor the
paging channels. It is not a good test.

cheers,
pars

PS: Why the cellular network would stop working
normally? I don't know. Because of power cut?
sabotage? DoS attack?

For DoS attacks on paging channels please
see the new Wise'06 paper:

http://ipmon.sprint.com/publications/uploads/wise06_paging.pdf

There are real measurement results.