Couple more thoughts ...

Fair enough, and certainly the world is full of lots of different people /
environments, all with diverse goals.  Some good, some bad - many subjective
:).
Is simply recommending that providers not accept reachability announcements
for ULAs, the same way it is recommended that they not accept RFC1918
announcements, not good enough (and for the same reasons)?

>> ... and, golly, can't we be smarter this time around?
>
>so far, not.

I wouldn't be that negative; the fact that we are attempting to solve a
problem is a good sign, no?
(providing a method to accomplish a nearly-collision-free private address
space ... which (to me) seems to be a noticeable improvement.)

>> >Should routers not forward ULAs under any circumstance?
>>
>> Routers, meaning any routers?  Of course they should - the whole point
>> is to have private IPs that are routable (unlike link-local
>addresses).
>
>that's another voice heard from.

I think I am merely passing along the sentiment of the authors of the RFC,
albeit poorly paraphrased.
To quote:
        Abstract
                   This document defines an IPv6 unicast address format that
is globally
                   unique and is intended for local communications, usually
inside of a
                   site.  These addresses are not expected to be routable on
the global
                   Internet.
That says, to me anyway, that they are to be routable - but not globally
routable.

>> Routers, meaning out in the DFZ - of course not, this is private
>> address space.  (Except maybe to black-hole them ,that is)
>
>is the dfz the only place these routes shouldn't go?  how will this be
>enforced, if cooperating connectees to the dfz all want to do it anyway?
>
>if we can't agree on "what's a site" then can we ask "what's
>``private''" ?

I am not fully sure we need to define "site".  Even in the abstract above
(wherein it mentions "site") the meat of the statement seems to focus on the
"private" aspect, which I believe we have recommendations and policies in
place to manage (again, a la RFC1918).
        Does everyone follow them, no.
        Are they perfect, no.
        Do we have enough policy, and experience with that policy, to move
forward - I would think so.
        ... ?

Again - just MHO.
/TJ