For clarification - let's say we have a device that can filter based on the
presence of a routing header, but cannot be more granular and filter based
on what type of routing header it is.
        Is the recommendation be to "fail closed" - block all RHs, including
Type2, thus breaking Route Optimization?
        Or should we "fail open" - permit them, including potentially
malicious Type0s?

I know that to date my recommendation has been to fail closed, block them
all if you can't be more specific ...

/TJ
(Yes - I agree, the "right" answer is to upgrade to something that can be
more granular ... but work with me for a moment :) )