Pekka Savola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Thomas Narten wrote:
> > And help me understand how this equates to the AS112 issues. For sites
> > that (today) get PI space and don't actually advertise it to the
> > internet, aren't the DNS issues _exactly_ the same?

> IMHO, if reverse DNS is provided, it should be required that the
> authoritative DNS servers have non-ULA addresses.

For the glue records? Absolutely. Well, actually, this discussion
may need to be nuanced. The requirement should be that that if there
is a PTR record (i.e., with a delegation chain starting at
in-addr.arpa), the authoritative servers that would be traversed in
chasing down the record must all be globally reachable. That probably
means non-ULA addresses, though there might be some edge cases.

> I think Mark was assuming that ULA address for authoritative
> delegation point might be OK, which would lead to issues if the ULA
> address is not reachable from everywhere where reverse DNS lookups
> should succeed.

Not acceptable to have glue records that contain addresses that are not
generally reachable. The DNS is not designed to operate efficiently in
such an environment.

Thomas