> ... It seems like a simple IETF matter to approve a version of
> draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central that directs IANA to assign portions of this
> netblock to RIRs for them to use in the manner specified in the draft.

if we're all agreed on that as an approach, and we're no longer considering
asking IANA to run a registration robot or asking network owners to choose
their own prefixes at random, then this is the first i've heard of it.

> If the IETF decides not to advance draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central in favor of
> allowing RIRs to do something similar on their own, that will likely be what
> happens.  But if the RIRs were to advance a policy that looks like ULA-C at
> this point, they would be accused of doing an end run around the IETF
> process.  So here we are.

i think that's a succinct summary of the status, but i hope that the final
document (writ by whomever under whatever banner) takes account of the
possibility that a private internet can be arbitrarily large, even perhaps
larger than the current DFZ, at which point words like "public" and "private"
and "DFZ" would become meaningless, and the distinction held by FC00 likewise
meaningless.  RFC 1918 had no such dragons to slay, since everybody already
knew what an autonomous system was, and that definition isn't subjective nor
malleable based on the size and shape of the connected internet.