Stig,

Wrt to this question you raised:

"Can you manually configure prefix on a host without also specifying prefix
length?"

See text below snipped from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0506.mspx#EMB
about Manual configuration for Windows Vista for IPv6. Text snipped from this
URL shows that if an IPv6 address has been added via the CLI, prefix length is
optional to be configured. Also, as I said before, I not too fond of a host
assuming a default of 64 as this CLI help shows.

------------------ begin snip-------------------------------

Configuring IPv6 With the Netsh.exe Tool
In the same way as IPv6 for Windows XP, you can configure IPv6 addresses and
other configuration parameters at the command line using commands in the netsh
interface ipv6 context.

Configuring Addresses
To configure IPv6 addresses, you can use the netsh interface ipv6 add address
command with the following syntax:

netsh interface ipv6 add address [interface=]Interface_Name_or_Index
[address=]IPv6_Address[/Prefix_Length] [[type=]unicast|anycast]
[[validlifetime=]Time|infinite] [preferredlifetime=]Time|infinite]
[[store=]active|persistent]

* interface The connection or adapter's name or interface index.

* address The IPv6 address to add, [optionally followed by the subnet prefix
length] (default of 64).

Hemant