Jeroen Massar wrote:
Scott Leibrand wrote:

ULA-C and PI space will likely both cost about the same, and your
brother could likely afford either.  The issue isn't so much dollar cost
as availability: your brother likely doesn't qualify for PI space
(unless he can justify efficient use of a /22), but he could get ULA-C
just by asking.

Wow, a /22 IPv6 space, that is a big chunk. But I assume you mean /22
IPv4.  What has IPv4 to do with IPv6?

Yes, I was referring to a /22 of IPv4 space. Current ARIN policy requires that, in order to get IPv6 PI space, you meet the same qualifications as for IPv4 PI space. (You needn't actually get the IPv4 space, but that was the least controversial method of justification available, which avoids going down the controversial rat-hole of justifying by "sites", "nodes", or "subnets" and specifying HD ratios within an end-user's network.)
 and moreover why is that ARIN policy
 being forced upon the IETF thus leading to ULA-C and then leading to
heavily hinting ARIN to provide ULA-C as a way out.

I don't think there's any forcing going on.  See below.

Clearly ULA-C is just "cheap address space", nothing more nothing less.
And the sole reason for a possible existence seems to be that the
policies in RIR land do not allow everybody to get address space the way
they want to. Instead of changing the RIR policies, ULA-C gets invented.

Do you have a proposed change to RIR policies? If so, I invite you to make a policy proposal. I also invite you to read the archives of the discussion surrounding previous similar policy proposals.

Which is also what you write in the 2 emails before this one, but in
between the lines.

The RIR community effectively blocks people from getting address space
on the premise that "but that costs routing slots", even though the
minimum allocation is /48 either way, and then on top of that basing
that decision on IPv4 address space usage, wow.

I don't know about you, but I help run a network that provides those routing slots, and doing so costs real money. Right now we're in the process of upgrading a large number of routers, at significant cost, simply to provide enough routing slots to support the growth in the BGP table. The RIRs currently require small networks to get provider aggregatable (PA) space from their provider(s). This ensures that any more-specific routes originated from such space can be safely filtered, while maintaining reachability via the provider's aggregate. PI space cannot be filtered this way, so there is a higher bar for getting such space. The height of that bar can be adjusted (as was recently done for IPv4 by changing from a /19 to a /22 for multihomed networks.) In fact, the IETF originally specified that all IPv6 space should be PA, leading to fears that ULA-C space would become the only de facto PI space. With recent action by the RIRs to create IPv6 PI space, those fears have been mostly alleviated.

I think that ULA-C is a really really bad idea because of this.

Perhaps. But just as "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others we've tried", I think ULA-C is better than what's available now, and more practical in the near term than a PI-for-everyone utopia.

The fact that IPv6 PI space exists at all is due to the action of individuals working through the RIR public policy process to create it. Some of the same individuals, recognizing they've pushed as far as they can toward liberalizing PI for now, would like to create additional flexibility for small networks to use IPv6 in a way that suits their needs. In order to avoid creating an IPv6 "swamp", those individuals have asked the IETF to standardize a new form of registered private IP space out of a single common global netblock, and allow the RIRs to begin allocating/assigning that space to registrants. Their attempts to do so are being met with cries of "why don't you just liberalize PI." Do you see the irony here?

-Scott