From: Ole Troan (otroan)
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:52 PM
To: James Carlson
Cc: Hemant Singh (shemant); [EMAIL PROTECTED]; JINMEI Tatuya / ????;
ipv6@ietf.org; Dave Thaler
Subject: Re: Neighbor Discovery and PPP links

>> All I am saying is, if IPV6CP is used to negotiate one interface-id,
>> when multiple addresses, that Dave pointed out, are needed for the
>> same client, why not use IPV6CP to negotiate interface-id's for even
>> these addresses?
>
> We'd have to discuss that on the PPP list, but my take on it is that
> it'd likely be incompatible with existing implementations.  I don't
> know that anyone expects more than one IPV6CP Interface-Identifier
> option -- I know for certain that the open source ppp-2.4
> implementation wouldn't handle it right.
>
> I think it'd be pretty strange operationally as well.  You'd end up
> with multiple link-local addresses.
>
> I don't think I agree with pushing this issue down into PPP.  We don't

> do that for Ethernet, so why would PPP be special?

I second that. the whole point of ND not being ARP was to allow for the
same provisioning mechanisms to be used on multiple media. lets not go
down the IPCP rathole.

before we redesign the rest of IPv6. have we reached consensus on the
original question yet?  i.e is it required that an IPv6 node before
communicating with another node performs reachability detection using
NS/NA?

to me it is pretty clear that answer has to be no. in common deployments
a node doesn't know the next-hop address anyway.

if a clarification is needed to emphasise that the neighbour discovery
protocol must be supported on any multicast capable link, then I will
not object to that.

/ot