[text formatted reply (July 22, 2007) to van Beijnum is being reposted -- apologies for the mix-up]

The subject took a detour from its original context of the need for address resolution through the Neighbor Discovery protocol.

The author is appreciative of the belated feedback though the last call for its parent draft (/draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v2.txt/) took place a few years ago with the draft by itself was a result of the collaborative effort of the IPv6 community (please check the archives of IPv6 WG dating back to 2004).

The encouraging aspect, however, is that framework of the /draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v3.txt /specification allows for extensibility in the IPv6CP protocol through the definition of new configuration options. Please find the following statement to this effect in the said draft specification.

   "The only IPV6CP option defined in this document is the Interface
   Identifier.  Any other IPV6CP configuration options that can be
   defined over time are to be defined in separate documents."

If you strongly feel the need for option extensions, it can be done so through new I-D(s). The value proposition of these option extensions can then be discussed. As it is, the suggested extensions are out of the scope of the specification.

Regards,

Srihari Varada