Hemant Singh (shemant) writes:
> I am saying when the M bit is clear, then a node cannot acquire an
> address using DHCPv6. However, I agree with you DHCPv6 is much better
> alternative than PPP.
>
> Now, I'd like to focus the discussion back to how will the PPP peer
> (which is a server)

Nit: PPP doesn't define "client" or "server."  It's peer-to-peer.

> going to fix the bug when this peer hasn't responded
> to the NUD unicast NS? I have already said the source PPP client that
> issued the unicast NS is 2461bis complaint.

I don't think it should "fix" the problem.  If the peer fails to
respond as expected, it has to declare the remote address to be
unreachable.

I'm not sure why we'd necessarily expect the side that's working right
to work around bugs in the other side.  (In fact, it could be argued
that this is a good state of affairs: malfunctioning gear may in fact
have other bugs, and it's better to detect this early rather than
later.)

Yes, it'd be possible to carve out a hole in NUD and say that if
there's _never_ a response from the peer to any NS for the life of the
link, and if the link is specifically point-to-point and without link
layer addresses, and if the link-layer is known to perform keepalive-
like operation, then the NS sender could "assume" that the address is
actually reachable.

That seems like needless complexity to me, though.