As Bernie said, having two ways of doing the same thing, for example
having
both the RA and DHCPv6 determine the default gateway or on-link
information,
leads to both confusion and conflicts.  Which one do you believe?  If
you're
talking about security, both RA's and DHCPv6 can be spoofed - so adding
redundant and conflicting information solves nothing.

Others can argue that either ND (RA's) or DHCPv6 can be abolished - but
I would argue that separating concerns, like on-link/routing information

from address acquisition actually gives you more freedom to design your
network the way you want to in a very clean, and easily understandable
way.  For instance, you may choose to have two completely different
approaches to doling out address information (in a central repository or
DHCPv6 server, where you can easily control who gets to have access to
the
network), from routing/on-link information which is associated with the
topology of the network and should be made consistent with the routing
tables
in the routers that manage that network.  If the information is managed
and accessable from two different sources, then it makes sense to have
two different mechanisms for managing that information.  If you have two
different mechanisms, then they should be orthogonal and cleanly
separate
concerns to avoid conflicts and confusion.

Just because "that's the way they did it in IPv4" is not a good reason
do it in IPv6 - we're supposed to be using the opportunity which is
given
to us by the total network upgrade to IPv6 in order to designing a
better
system than IPv4.

- Wes Beebee