On 16-aug-2007, at 21:35, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

RA supports all
of prefix information and on-link determination, so why have DHCPv6
duplicate that functionality?

That's not the discussion we were having. The discussion we were having (or at least, _I_ was having) was whether it's a good idea to have a prefix LENGTH go along with the IPv6 address if a DHCPv6 server assigns an IPv6 address to a host.

In my opinion, the answer is "of course" because otherwise life gets quite complex, but apparently there are people who like that kind of thing and who feel that an address with an unknown prefix length is useful.