Hemant Singh (shemant) writes:
> Thanks, James. I agree with Fred then that a node can try DHCPv6. But
> now how does the node get a prefix length? As you are saying, some
> manual or static configuration can be used. I certainly don't like the
> host to assume any prefix length in this scenario. Since I am not a fan
> of any manual configuration, it does make sense, only for such a case of
> absence of an RA, that DHCPv6 provides prefix length. Since DHCPv6
> doesn't know if the network's router will issue RA's or not, then DHCPv6
> has to provide prefix length all the time.

My view on it is that such a network is just plain broken.  V6 seems
intentionally designed to assume that networks have routers, because
routers are the _authoritative_ source of prefixes (they have to route
them).

Thus, it's a case I test for, and one I make sure "works," but I
assume that it's useless.  In my own implementation, you end up with a
/128 for that interface.  If you have a default route, everything will
go there (via the link-locals), and you'll get a pile of redirects for
the local hosts.  If you don't, then you're just sunk.  Enjoy the
address, because it's all you've got.  ;-}

> Then I am for what Iljitsch is saying. If a host see a discrepancy in
> prefix lengths from RA and DHCPv6, then host has to decide based on a
> union of information.

"Union" doesn't make much sense to me.  That just provides a needless
opportunity for error, and consequent bizarre and hard-to-diagnose
behavior out of subsets of hosts on a network that get the wrong data.